Introduction to Grammar Guidelines

With texting, Facebook, and Twitter fast becoming main modes of communication, the new shorthand lingo that is developing will no doubt bring about a higher frequency of grammatical, spelling, and punctuation errors. The rules that define proper English seem to fade into the distance as more people forget them and replace that knowledge with acronyms such as OMG and LOL. The hope for this site is to reinforce proper English grammar and continue to encourage eloquent writing and speech.

Monday, November 23, 2009

I vs. Me

Improper use of "I" and "me" seems to be a staple of reality TV. So I'm writing this post to help people understand how to use these pronouns. My hope is that I won't hear this very common mistake quite so frequently. Simply stated, "I" is used when it is the subject of the sentence or renames the subject; "me" is used when it is the object.


In the example below, Sawyer and I/me are acting as the subjects of the sentence.

Sawyer and (I or me) have been married for three years.
(Tip: Cut out "Sawyer and" and see which pronoun sounds right)
Correct Answer: I


In this example, "she" is the subject because "she" is doing the asking. Lisa and I/me are acting as the objects.

She asked Lisa and (I or me) to be bridesmaids at her wedding.
Correct Answer: me

No comments:

Post a Comment